Jackfruit Pulled “Pork” Sandwiches
Have you been curious about those giant spiky spheres making an appearance in our produce department? A native to Southeast Asia, jackfruit is known for its flavor, health benefits and size. It’s the largest tree-born fruit and can weigh up to 80 lbs! Jackfruit is also rich in vitamins C & A, and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. We now have jackfruit available at all of our stores; however preparing and cooking with it is still a bit mystifying to some.
Ripe jackfruit has a sweet flavor. Unripe jackfruit has a milder flavor with a fibrous texture that works best in vegan and vegetarian dishes as an alternative to pulled pork or shredded beef (check out our Jackfruit Pulled “Pork” recipe below!). Jackfruit seeds can be roasted or boiled similar to chestnuts.
Preparing fresh jackfruit
Jackfruits are one of the largest fruits in the world so preparing them can seem a little daunting. But with a few tips we’ll show you the best way to cut open your jackfruit and extract the edible, fleshy pods so it’s ready for cooking.
- Rinse jackfruit and place on cutting board. Using a large knife coated in coconut oil to slide through the sticky sap, cut jackfruit into large rounds.
- Cut out the white core in the center of each slice and discard.
- Remove each pod and pull off any stringy pieces. Place pods in a large bowl.
- Cut each pod in half and remove the seed (see photo below). Place the seed-free pods in a bowl (this is what you’ll use for the recipe below). You can save the seeds to use for later if you wish. Jackfruit seeds must be cooked to be edible.
Vegan Jackfruit Pulled “Pork” Sandwiches
- 2 1/2 cups unripe, fresh jackfruit
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns
- Vegan coleslaw (optional)
- Prepare fresh jackfruit to get seedless pods.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the jackfruit, BBQ sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Stir and cover then turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring and adding more water as needed.
- Using a fork, shred the jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork. Add smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Place jackfruit on hamburger bun and top with coleslaw.