Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
The pumpkin puree lends a mellow sweetness to this classic baked dish. Find out how to easily make your own pumpkin puree.
- 3/4 package (12 oz) elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Farmer’s Market pumpkin puree or your own fresh
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, finely grated
- 2 cups fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Heat oven to 350°F. In large pot of salted water, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. When butter begins to bubble add the flour, whisking constantly for about 2-3 minutes until mixture is fragrant and light brown.
Pour in milk and stir until evenly combined and sauce thickens. Add the pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add 3/4 of the cheeses and stir until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix until well coated. Spoon into a prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle parsley over the top.