Butternut Squash Lasagna
One of our guest favorites, this recipe from Haggen Chef James Valentine is every bit as creamy and velvety as it looks.
Fun Fact: Butternut squash is a natural antioxidant and is great for skin and eye health!
Butternut Squash Mixture
- 4-1/2 lbs butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1″ pieces (yields about 3-1/2 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, shredded fresh sage
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 (5 oz) container BelGioioso Salad Blend (Shaved Asiago, Romano, Parmesan cheeses)
- 1 (8 oz) package BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella Pearls
- 2 Tbsp shredded fresh sage
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss peeled squash in olive oil, with salt and black pepper. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly golden and soft. Remove squash from oven and place in bowl. Mash mixture while still warm. Set aside.
Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles stirring gently. Cook 8-10 minutes until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
In a sauté pan heat olive oil, add onion, reduce to medium heat, cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red bell pepper. Cook about 5 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize and the pepper is tender. Add sage, cook for 3 minutes longer until the sage wilts and begins to soften. Set aside to cool.
Mix ricotta, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Very lightly oil a 9″x13″ baking dish. Spread ricotta mixture evenly on the bottom, followed by 3 lasagna noodles. Spread half the squash mixture evenly, followed by half the onion mixture, another 3 lasagna sheets topped by half the ricotta mixture. Repeat the layers, then top with shaved cheese and mozzarella pearls.
Bake at 350°F approximately 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Sprinkle shaved cheese, mozzarella pearls and fresh sage on top and bake an additional 5 minutes.