Haggen, TOP Food & Drug, stores leading Northwest Harvest food drive
November 1, 2011 • Washington
A food drive to stock the shelves of local food banks before the holidays is being conducted Nov. 1-30 at Haggen Food & Pharmacy and TOP Food & Drug stores in Washington.
The 106.1 KISS FM Fill the Mayflower food drive is being conducted by Haggen Food & Pharmacy, TOP Food & Drug and radio station 106.1 KISS FM. The drive seeks to fill two Mayflower moving vans s.
Nonperishable food and cash donations will be collected for distribution to local food banks by Northwest Harvest (www.northwestharvest.org). Northwest Harvest is the only nonprofit food bank distributor operating statewide in Washington with a network of over 325 food banks, meal programs and high-need elementary schools. Northwest Harvest provides over 1.6 million meals every month to its network.
Food banks are seeking canned food high in protein, canned fruit, pasta, rice and any other non-perishable food items. Donors also may purchase pre-stuffed bags of groceries that include tuna, macaroni and cheese, peaches, chili, green beans and pinto beans for $5 apiece at Haggen Food & Pharmacy and TOP Food & Drug stores or make donations at the cash register of $10 or $20.
Requests for assistance at local food banks have been steadily rising the last several years. Also, low-income families are hit harder by higher heating costs during fall and winter. Many food-bank clients are senior citizens or families with children.
“Small donations can add up to make a big difference in our communities,” said Becky Skaggs, spokesperson for Haggen Food & Pharmacy and TOP Food & Drug stores. “We encourage individuals, organizations and businesses to be generous in helping the hungry.”
Participating stores include:
• Arlington Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 20115 74th Ave. N.E.
• Auburn TOP Food & Drug, 1702 Auburn Way N.
• Bellevue TOP Food & Drug, 15751 N.E. 15th St.
• Burlington Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 757 Haggen Drive.
• Edmonds TOP Food & Drug, 21900 Highway 99.
• Federal Way TOP Food & Drug, 31515 20th Ave. S.
• Kent TOP Food & Drug, 26015 104th Ave. S.
• Lacey TOP Food & Drug, 5600 Martin Way.
• Lake Stevens Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 8915 Market Place N.E.
• Lake Tapps TOP Food & Drug, 1406 Lake Tapps Pkwy. E., Auburn.
• Marysville Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 3711 88th St. N.E.
• Mount Vernon Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 2601 E. Division St.
• Olympia TOP Food & Drug, 1313 Cooper Point Road S.W.
• Puyallup TOP Food & Drug, 201 37th Ave. S.E.
• Shoreline TOP Food & Drug, 1201 N. 175th St.
• Snohomish TOP Food & Drug, 1301 Ave. D.
• Stanwood Haggen Food & Pharmacy, 26603 72nd Ave. N.W.
• Tacoma TOP Food & Drug, 3130 S. 23rd St.
• Woodinville TOP Food & Drug, 17641 Garden Way N.E.