Culinary Art Month
July is Culinary Art Month and we wanted to provide you with a few summer recipes to bring out your inner culinarian. These summer recipes are from none other than our very own Chanel Martinez. Just incase you forgot, you met Chanel here. She is our Deli Field Specialist who is a certified Cordon Bleu chef. Summer is one of our favorite times of the year because food becomes the center focal point of gatherings. Try these summer recipes at home and leave your friends or family full, satisfied and of course, impressed.
Summer Grilled Flank Steak Skewers (4 servings)-
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbeque sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Skewers (soaked in water)
- In a small bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, sherry, lime, pineapple, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, green onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Cut flank steak across the grain on a diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices in a 1 gallon re-sealable plastic bag. Pour sauce mixture over slices, and mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Discard marinade, and thread steak on skewers.
- Oil the grill. Grill skewers to desired doneness.
Grilled Corn Salad (4 servings)-
- 4 ears fresh corn, silks removed, husk on, soaked in cold water 30 minutes
- Olive oil to coat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or crema
- 2 limes, juiced and 1 zested
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 Avocado pitted and cubed
Heat grill to high. Drizzle corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill corn until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Take off the grill and remove the kernels with a sharp knife. Place corn in bowl and mix with crème fraiche, lime juice, zest, chili powder, cayenne, cilantro and cotija cheese. Mix well. Gently mix in cubed avocado.
Watermelon Cooler (4 servings)-
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 cups coconut water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups Seltzer water or lemon lime soda if you prefer it sweeter.
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
In a blender, add watermelon, coconut water and lime. Blend until smooth. In a glass with ice, pour watermelon mixture and top with soda or soda water. Lastly, garnish with fresh mint leaves.
5 different uses
beer and wine
with a twist!